Wine road Halmeu Vii – Oraşu Nou Vii
Halmeu is the most famous strawberry producer commune. Besides strawberries, another remarkable crop is the vineyard, the wines in Halmeu being well known both in the county and at a regional level. Other touristic attractions in the area: Piatra Cerbului, Cider tree of Halmeu Vii, Halmeu Reformed Church, Heroes ‘monument, Tur river banks (natural reservation) – a perfect place to practice cyclo-tourism, the Permanent exhibition of Vigh István paintings (on the halls of the commune´s local council, exhibition donated by the painter for his home village). The day of Halmeu, organized in the last Saturday and Sunday on May, the local Fair, which takes place the second Thursday of each month, as well as the day of the local churches are the most important events at a local level.
Tămăşeni village belongs, from an administrative and territorial point of view to the Bătarci commune. Amongst the most important touristic attractions we can mention the ruins of the fortress on the near by hill, the reformed church, Piatra Cerbului, Fântâna lui Sarcă, Fântâna Lupului, Fântâna Cerbului, Cetăţuia, Comoara.
Turulung commune includes three locations, Turulung , Drăgușeni and Turulung Vii. According to the archeological discoveries in the Turulung commune, this area was inhabited even from the Paleolitic. Important topuristic attractions in the area: Perenyi Castle, reformed church, Roman – Catholic Church and the Historic Monumnet in the memory of the people deported to Russia.
The wine-growing touristic route is continued to Orasu Nou either through Călineşti-Oaş, or through Livada. Călinești Oaș Commune is located in the west part of the Țara Oașului Valley, and in the North-East of Satu Mare County, at 40 km from Satu Mare Municipality. Touristic attractions in the area: the reservoir, Orthodox cathedral, Rural House – Museum, the Wooden Church from Lechinţa and the Natural Reservation “Cursul inferior al Râului Tur”.
The wine-growing touristic route can be continued also through Livada, where one can visit the following touristic attractions: Vecsey Castle, built in 1760, a remarkable example of Barroque architecture, on a rectangular scale, on 3 levels, surrounded by an English park ideal for walks and the Calvine reformed church (dating back to 1457) which, although was affected by the interventions from 1779 still maintains in great part the Gothic architecture and decorations. Once in Oraşu Nou, with its villages, Prilog, Prilog Vii, Remetea-Oaş, Oraşu Nou Vii, tourists can taste local wines at local wine contests (February). Besides this, interested tourists can visit Széchenyi Monument (Remetea Oaş), Recreation area „Mujdeni Lake” and the inn with the same name. Moreover, a special pilgrimage place is the Portăriţa Monastery in Oraşu Nou. Amongst local events, besides wine contests, we can mention the brandy contests and the Day of the Commune organized om the last Sunday of July.
Wine road Carei – Pir
Carei Municipality is located in the North-West of Romania, at 99 km from Oradea Municipality. It is located in the South West of Satu Mare County, in a field area, at 35 km from the county capital. Its advantageous geographic position allowed production development but also commerce development even from old times. Gradually, small craftsmen appeared, who laid the basis of service providing, and later of the industrial production. Agricultural production is based on cereal, beetroot, and especially vineyard and sun flower crops. Carei represents a specific tradition in vineyard crops, the wine growers being united under the Order of „Saint Orban Knights”, which, this year, have organized the 15th edition of the noble wines contest in Carei. The wines produced in the Carei area have registered in the last year a significant increase as for quality. This was the conclusion of the specialists present at the event – noble wines contest from March 2013 have reached, according to the local press, after analysing the 126 samples registered in the contest. In the area there is also a series of touristic objectives which can be visited, as the Karolyi Castle in Carei. Its history dates back to year 1482. The fortress has played an importantrole during the 17th century, beingpart of the big fortresses to protect the western border of Transilvania.
The importance of the fortress is mentioned especially after its reconstruction between 1661-1666. Its importance continues during the wars led by prince Rakoczi Francisc the 2nd against the Habsburg family (1703-1711). The fortress is besieged by the prince´s army but after a few days Karoly Sandor takes his side and he is appointed the leader of the army. In 1705, the fortress is attacked by Austrians and partially destroyed, being rebuilt the same year. As at the end of the 18th century the fortress stopped playing a military role, Karoly Jozsef decided to demolish the walls and cover the ditches. Keeping the foundation and some of the walls, later, a rectangular castle was built, with only one floor. The construction was finished in 1794, in Barroque style, and enclosed 20 rooms on the ground floor, 21 on the first floor and a chapel. Also during this period the rare plants park is set up and a horse stable for 24 horses is built. After the earthquake in 1834, the castle in great part was demolished, its restoration being done between 1894-1896. This time, the castle is modified even more, adding another level to the façade, three small towers and four big ones. The restoration was done in Neo-Gothic style and was conducted by the architect Meining Arthur helped by well skilled craftsmen from Carei. The defence elements from the present form of the building have only a decorating purpose (the stronghold, water ditch). The interior architecture of the building, the doors, windows, the interior staircase handrail, as well as the wrought iron objects were made by the local craftsmen. The hall was meant for receiving guests, the ground floor rooms were used as living rooms and kitchen, while the rooms from the first and second floor were bedrooms. Nowadays, there is a historic and natural science museum in the castle, and also a library with over 80.000 volumes. Around the castle in 1700, there was a nice garden, Barroque style. In 1790, the gardener Bode Gyorgy makes around the castle a new English garden. The garden had also a greenhouse with exotic plants. In its present form, it has an extension of 12 ha. Taking into consideration the rare plants of the garden(208 species and subspecies of bush plants), in 1982 it was declared protected dendrologic park, (the huge buttonwood in front of the castle, with a diameter of 205 cm was planted in 1810). Other touristic attractions: Local Theatre built in 1907, Students ‘Club – normal school of the town built in 1779, Heroes´ monument – work of the sculptor Vida Gheza and of architect Anton Dâmboianu. Inaugurated in 1964, the monument is made in white stone and has impressive dimensions: front opening of 18 m, depth of 5 m and height of 12 m. This commemorative landmark is made of five elements with symbolic meanings: a farmer´s head, which inspires dignity and stability, (symbol of the farmers ‘revolts), a door with carvings similar to those which appear on the doors in Maramures, („poarta jertfelor”), a woman planting a flower (symbol of renewal), the face of a soldier which impresses by massiveness and rough traits and an obelisk similar to the church towers in Maramures (symbol of the eternal flame).
On the route Carei – Pir, near Pir commune, there is Tasnad town, with a series of touristic attractions which can be visited: The Orthodox Cathedral, Roman – Catholic Church and the Town Museum located in a building dating back to the 18th century, historic monument. Tasnad, due to its richness, (hydro-mineral ores, with water temperatures of 72° C) is also a therapeutic resort of local and territorial interest, having a thermic pool, treatment micro-base and other similar facilities.
Pir Commune is located in the South – West of Satu Mare County, on the left bank of Ier river, at 32 km from Carei, 24 km on the left of Tăşnad. The Occidental Carpathian Hills and Tisa Field meet near the village. The commune neighbours Bihor County. The income sources of the local people are coming mainly from agriculture. Besides cereal crops, a big importance is given to cultivating fruits and vineyard. The wine produced in Pir dates back to the 17th century, the commune being one of the most famous wine producers from the Carpathian Basin. In the 19th century, the phylloxera destroyed the vineyards in the region, after which the American type of vines were brought. Nowadays, the vineyard cultivation and wine production are coming back, the wines produced here being rewarded at regional contests on vineyard owners. Small factories function in the commune for the transformation of grapes, factories which ensure the next step in the formal, industrial production and selling. The accommodation in the commune is ensured in the locals´ houses, but the closeness to Tăşnad offers possibilities of exploring wine-growing tourism. Other touristic attractions in the area: Reformed Church in Pir, Pir Orthodox Church, Sărvăzel Orthodox Church, Ibranyi Mansion (Eördögh)1584, two fishing ponds. Among the local events we can mention the noble wine contest. The rustic caves of Pir are a major touristic attraction. In the last seven years, among the producers and consumers of wines, the regional wine contests organized in Pir, Halmeu, Carei and other places in the county have become very popular, being organized by the Order „Saint Orban” Wine Knights from Carei.
Wine road Hodod – Viile Satu Mare
Hodod commune dates back to year 1210 as defence fortress. Along its millenary history, Hodod played an important role in the economic and military life of the area. This is also due to its geographical position, at the gates of Transilvania and Panonic Field. The history of the town and the fortress is linked to the noble family Jakcs, in whose possession it was until the last descendants of the family. The main touristic attractions are: Wesselényi Degenfeld Mansion(1763), Reformed Calvine Church, Evangelic – Lutheran Church, Wooden church Saints Archangels from Lelei, Bell tower and Reformed Church from Lelei, Reformed church from Nadişu-Hododului.
Dobra village belongs to Supur Commune. At the border of the settlement there are caves for keeping the wine built in the ground. In the area one can visit the Orthodox Church Supuru de Sus and Supuru de Sus Museum . Here, they have recently planted over 200 hectares of noble vineyards, so the area has an opportunity to become in the next years an important wine – growing center.
Beltiug commune includes five settlements, besides the center of the commune: Ghirişa, Răteşti, Giungi, Şandra and Bolda and is located at 35 km south from Satu Mare. The commune is predominantly agricultural, but vineyards are remarkable (planted by Sándor Károlyi Count himself), which stretch on hundreds of hectares, as well as the variety of wine caves. In Beltiug area, the Swabians who settled down in 1712 own a real cult for the wine. After the phylloxera attack from the 19th century, the Swabians brought to Beltiug and cultivated species of wine from France, Bourgogne region, mentained until present days. Beltiug is known for the specific family caves (over 360) with lengths of up to 50 m, built on three levels on the slope of the hill where the vines are planted. Touristic attractions and representative local events in Beltiug: Balneal park Beltiug with hot waters (640 C, flow 12l/s), Roman – Catholic Church Beltiug, Reformed Church Ghirișa, Wooden Church Bolda, Grape Ball in October, Country Fair in March. In the neighbouring commune, Craidorolţ, one can visit also Ţeghea Monastery.
The wine route on this touristic segment is continued with Ardud Town, which is the 5th town according to the number of inhabitants from the county, including Ardud Vii, Baba Novac, Gerăuşa, Mădăras and Sărătura. In Ardud we can find Rackoczi´s Fortress and the Monument to Petofi Sandor, but besides this, Ardud is rich in vineyards, orchards and woods which surround it and where tourists can stay.
Viile Satu Mare Commune
Next is Viile Satu Mare commune located in the north-west of Satu Mare County, at 20 km from Satu Mare. Vines crops, together with strawberry crops are the main activities of its inhabitants. In the area one can visit 5 orthodox churches and a reformed church, declared historic monument.
Satu Mare Municipality
The wine-growing route Hodod, Dobra, Beltiug, Răteşti, Ardud, Viile Satu Mare can also continue for tourists who came here with a stop in
Satu Mare Municipality, where one can see: Firefighter tower, Roman – Catholic Cathedral, Reformed church with chains, Orthodox Church „Adormirea Maicii Domnului”, County Museum, North Theatre, Bishop´s Palace, Shoemakers´Building, Ormos House.